Black Bean Burgers are Easy To Make
Yes, this would be SUPER SIMPLE if you used canned beans. Once the beans are ready, the meal can be ready in no time. The burgers cook relatively quickly and can be served with ketchup and mustard, hummus, or other condiments of choice. The burgers have a good texture and the meal is filling. Make them as spicy as you wish. Make them as big or small as you wish. Make the recipe to meet your needs.
2 cups black beans (dry) or 2 cans of black beans (drained/rinsed)
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 onion chopped (or one small onion)
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ketchup (or sriracha)
2 tbsp Tamari - gluten free soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup gluten free oats
1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
(add more oats/bread crumbs if the mixture is too wet)
NOTE: Increase/decrease spice ratio to change the heat factor to what you prefer.
- Add everything but the oats/bred crumbs to a food processor/VitaMix
- NOTE: I tend to pulse to create a smooth yet chunky mixture. You could always reserve 1/2 cup beans to fold in at the end to create the chunky full bean texture in a few bites.
- Add the bread crumbs/oats slowly so that you do not add too much. You want to thicken the burger without drying it out completely. Add more than suggested or less depending on the moisture content of the beans.
- Make into patties (size of choice), add a little olive oil to a pan, and fry
- I flattened and flipped after about 10 minutes
- Serve with condiments/vegetables of choice on your bun and add side dishes of choice.
Note: My picture is of the burgers as I ran out of buns and used bread...when COVID19 stay at home orders are lifted and stores have more product, I will have gluten free burger buns again!