Philly Cheesesteak REMIX Gluten Free Vegan Style
I have been pondering making this dish for a while. I have tried a version of it at a restaurant with a friend, back when going to restaurants with friends was popular pre-COVID.
Finally, I took the time to experiment. I am so glad I did! This is a dish I will make over-and-over again!
Ingredients: (to serve 2)
- 1/2 block of firm tofu (drained and pressed)
- 1 slice vegan cheese ( I used Violife)
- 1 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1 TBSP gluten free soy sauce
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers
- 1/4 vegetable bouillon cube
- olive oil (just enough so nothing sticks)
- Gluten free rolls/bread for serving ( I used Schar Cibatta)
- Drain and press the tofu to extract most of the liquid
- Cut the cube in 1/2, save the other 1/2 of the cube for another dish or double the recipe
- Sautee the onion and peppers until the onion is translucent
- Add the tofu, nutritional yeast, and gluten free soy sauce
- Satuee until tofu is done
- Turn off the pan
- Add diced vegan cheese to the dish and stir to melt/combine
- Toast rolls with vegan cheese to melt cheese on the rolls as well as in the dish
NOTE: I did not have a heavy hand with the cheese. I used 1 slice total. There was a cheesy taste. You can use more based on your preference.