Black Bean, Oats, and Salsa Burgers are simple to make and inexpensive. What I love about this dish is that each time you make the burger, you can have a different flavor profile depending on the salsa you use.
You can make the burgers special with the addition of toppings and side dishes. Customize the meal each time you make it!
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup diced carrot, sweet potato, zucchini, or red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups black beans
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
OPTION: you can saute the onion, garlic, and vegetable in a bit of olive oil if you wish, or use them raw
- In a VitaMix or blender add 3/4 cups oats, paprika, and crushed red pepper and pulse
- Add salsa and pulse
- Add onions, garlic, and vegetable and pulse (leaving a bit chunky)
- Add 1 14 cup beans and pulse, leaving slightly chunky
- Add remaining 1/4 cup beans and 1/4 cup oats and fold into the mixture to create layers of texture
- Take out of the VitaMix or blender and shape into patties. Satue in just enough olive oil so it does not stick to the pan.
- Serve with condiments of your choice and gluten free hamburger bun of choice.