Lentils are high in folate, fiber, and potassium. They are a good addition to your diet if you are looking to lower blood pressure or cholesterol levels. They are easy to use and can be added into many recipes. I usually purchase lentils from Bob's Red Mill.
This soup can be made in about 30 minutes.
It is perfect for a chilly fall evening!
- 1 cup Red Lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I use low sodium)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 4 cloves of garlic (diced)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- Just enough olive oil so noting stick to the pan
- Add just enough olive oil to caramelize the onion in a soup pot
- Add the ginger, garlic, and spices and warm for a minute or two
- Add lentils and broth and bring to a boil
- Reduce to simmer and cook for about 30 minutes (covered)
- Use an immersion blender to smooth the texture OR place the soup in a VitaMix to make it a silky texture